Day of Silence

Midlothian Community Participates in the Day of Silence to Support LGBT+ Individuals

Photo by: Ellen Tucker
Kyelin Thrift, Isabel Adkins, and Mariha Junaid supported the LGBT+ community by wearing stickers on the Day of Silence.

On Friday, April 21st, the Midlothian Gay-Straight-Alliance (GSA) Club led a school-wide Day of Silence. The Day of Silence (DOS) is a day created to raise awareness of the silence forced upon LGBT+ individuals by asking supporters and allies to stay silent throughout the school day. The GSA Club wants to recognize this because many students may be facing insecurity or bullying.

Students participated by wearing rainbow stickers provided by GSA Club members and keeping silent (except during instruction). They also provided small slips of paper that explained the reason why a student might choose to stay silent:   “Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the the Day of Silence symbolic of the silence caused by harassment, discrimination, and prejudice against LGBT+ individuals in schools. Think about the voices you are not hearing today. Ending the silence is the first step towards fighting these injustices.”.

Students and parents who wish to find out more about the day of silence can visit gsafewi.org or see Mr. Schwab in room 302.  The Midlothian GSA Club would like to thank everyone who participated in any way in the Day of Silence.