Message from the Principal

Principals+Message

Principal’s Message

Greetings, Midlothian Community:

For many, the month of May brings spring flowers; however, for Midlo, May brings amazing productions, rigorous assessments, and playoffs for many spring sports teams.

Testing season should be just about completed when this message is made public.  I am beyond impressed as Midlothian High continues to increase the number of students completing college level courses and college level assessments, while also continuing to improve our already county-best SOL results.   These successes are a direct result of our hard working students and faculty, combined with a supportive community. Follow this link to view our exam and testing schedules.

With testing winding down, the celebrations will soon begin. Over the past few weeks, Midlothian High School will recognize academic achievements at our spring class assemblies and sports, clubs, and honor society successes at various banquets.  The Class of 2016 has already made me proud as they continue to complete various assessments, projects, and essays, working until the very end.  In addition to self-fulfillment, many students are providing support to their peers through remediation efforts, tutoring, and even social and emotional support.  That’s what makes Midlothian High School such a special place to receive a quality and well-rounded education.

Seniors, click this link to view important senior dates, times, locations, procedures, and so much more.  And if you can’t find an answer to your question on this page, parents and students may contact a school employee (378-2440), who will be happy to assist you.  

Spring sports playoffs are underway, as both our boys and girls tennis teams have already been crowned Conference Champions.  Track began competing in Conference playoffs Wednesday, May 18th, while Boys and Girls Lacrosse begin Conference playoffs on Friday, May 20th at home.  The remaining sports playoffs begin the week of May 23rd.   As always, we wish all our teams the best of luck as they compete in their respective tournaments… Go Midlo!

The Art Department organized and held a show right here at Midlo that left viewers in awe of the artistic beauty produced by our students. The Performing Arts Department at Midlo recently held well-received spring orchestra, band, and chorus concerts. As expected, members of our superior rated programs all performed beautifully.  In addition, Chicago had all of us dancing in our seats.  I know Mrs. Baugher and Mr. Gallagher are so proud of the cast and crew for another excellent performance.   I continue to walk away from all of our school performances amazed at both the talent and dedication of our students.

Make sure you check our online Events calendar, as Midlo has so much going on during the final weeks of school. The beginning of May also marked Teacher Appreciation Week.  Highlights included: a complimentary Midlo Dry Fit Polo (thanks to Horace Mann), a few complimentary lunches provided by administration and the PTSO, as well as smoothies from the school’s SCA.  In addition, our wonderful and supportive PTSO provided our faculty with an exciting treat multiple times throughout the week.  While this special week is a wonderful time to share appreciation for a teacher, I challenge any parent or student to thank a teacher any time of the year. One of the best ways our students can thank a teacher is to put forth their best effort each and every day.

Below are a few logistical reminders as we prepare for the end of the school year:

• Students should clean out school lockers.
  • All student medications, including over the counter medications, must be picked up at the school.  Medications that remain at Midlothian High School after Tuesday, June 21, 2016, will be discarded.
  • Students must return their Chromebook, all textbooks, library books, and pay any outstanding fees. Please refer to the Midlo Scoop or our school website to obtain information about upcoming events, including exam schedules and summer reading lists.  Of course, reading the Midlo Scoop is a great way to learn about all the accomplishments and achievements at Midlo this past month, as the staff works hard to capture each moment.  Also, don’t forget to communicate daily with your student to stay in touch with what is going on around Midlo. You never know what exciting opportunity or event may be forthcoming.  

As we wrap up the 2015-16 school year, I want to thank our students for their efforts, all our amazing teachers and students for their hard work and dedication, and the Midlothian community for its ongoing support. I truly believe in the motto, “It takes a village to raise a child.”  None of these amazing accomplishments and success stories could be achieved by working in isolation. I wish everyone a restful and safe summer break.

Sincerely,

Shawn A. Abel

Proud Principal