Dedication, Inside and Out

Mr. Matt Hutchings: November Employee of the Month

Congratulations, November Employee of the Month: Mr. Matt Hutchings

Congratulations, November’s Employee of the Month, Mr. Matt Hutchings. Mr Hutchings currently coaches football, indoor track, and outdoor track in addition to teaching Health and PE at Midlothian High. Coming from a family of teachers, Mr. Hutchings has dedicated himself to positive growth and development on the field and in the classroom.

You coach a number of different sports as well as teaching Health and PE classes. What is your favorite aspect of teaching and coaching?

I enjoy seeing the the students and athletes when the “lightbulb” goes on. Once a student figures out a way to solve a problem or an athlete figures out how to make themselves better on the field, that is why I teach and coach.

What influenced you to become a high school coach/ gym teacher?

My grandmother was a teacher, my wife is a teacher, and my brother is a teacher. I enjoy being able to help students grow.

What is one of your best memories in coaching and teaching at Midlo High School?

There are a lot of great memories already here at Midlothian. Our win against Clover Hill in football is the most recent best memory. It was great to see those seniors go out with a win in their last game.

Do you have any hobbies outside of school?

Coaching three sports, I don’t have a whole lot of extra time, but I started distance running last summer. Since then I have completed a marathon, a half-marathon, a 10 Kand a couple 5Ks.

Finally, do you have any movie recommendations for Midlo Scoop readers?

I saw Dr. Strange last weekend. Very good movie with great special effects.